I'm sure you are looking at this picture and thinking, is that Quigley's cousin?
Not really, but she has a great story.
Near the end of October we were having a lazy, warm day at home. the dogs were napping in the sunshine, and I was "housewife-ing".
I felt this calling to go to the park near our house to run the dogs, and so, even though I really wanted to watch some ever so wholesome and rewarding reality t.v., I loaded up and went.
We were having a great time and I noticed what I thought was a cat laying in the grass a ways away. We circled the park a few times and it never moved so I decided to investigate.
Pisty is known as my "Ambassador Dog" because she has this great personality and all dogs and children are immediately engaged by her(and let's face it, even us adults are quite enamored with her) So we approached the black bump in the grass. We were shocked to see a very skinny pup, no bigger than Quigley, and clearly quite scared. I had brought along leftover pork chops for training and started to throw them around. Though scared, we had her hunger on our side and Pisty and I made friends with her, sharing our bounty of pork. We then fetched up Gunner and Quig who were tied to a soccer goal(score!) and proceeded to the car, hungry friend in tow. When she stopped to try and get a drink out of a mud puddle I knew this dog was on the lam.
I gave her some water out of our "Portable Pup Bowl" and invited her into the car, took her home and called the Humane Society. She had on a collar and registration, but no name tag. We were able to reach her owner, and sure enough, Austin had been missing for several days.
After the tears and shouts and thank-you's to God, we loaded up. And how ironic that Austin's owner worked at the Humane Society.
I cannot tell you how rewarding it was to call her owner when we arrived in the parking lot and hear running footsteps that revealed a tear-streaked, and smiling, face. The obvious excitement at the reunion was palpable from both parties.
It turned out that some workers had left the back gate open and Austin had 2 small children at home awaiting her return.
That day ended up being far more wholesome and rewarding than my t.v. shows.
I'm glad I heeded my calling that day....and so did Austin's belly.



2 comments:
That is an amazing story told by an amazing woman! Knowing what a terrible feeling it is when your dog is lost, I'm so glad that you were able to reunite Austin and her owner. :)
Cheryl
What a sweet story! Austin's little guardian angel must have wispered in your ear that morning, and I'm sure he's everso thankful you ditched the "Real World" to save him!
Sarah
Post a Comment