She is loving, kind, a great cook, and very artistic.
She has made myself and all her other grandchildren(and great-grandchildren) afghans, quilts, hand painted knick-knacks and ornaments, and various other lovely and thoughtful things.
She also crochets.
This is an entirely different announcement about her creativity because when she was a little girl she put her index finger into a meat grinder and lost the end of it.
People told her she would never be able to crochet without the end of her finger.
Not that I personally would know anything about being strong willed in the face of adversity, but just to make her point that she could, she mastered crochet.
She has tried to teach me, but I have some sort of mental block about it.
Anyhow.....
I call him Father, or Dad-Ums, or Old Guy.
He too is artistic, but in an analytical, symmetrical, mathematical way.
That is something I have a major mental block about.
But back to crochet...
I then take them, starch and iron them into submission, and pin them in shadow boxes that I decorate to match the decor of the room they are in.
Very girlie, no?

Here is the "family" one. Made to go in our front room that houses our black piano.
Isn't it amazing that she whips these puppies out?
So don't go telling Martha about us, or she'll want to put us on the show, elevate us to extreme celebrity status, and market us as a household name.
We just don't have time for that.
Here is the "family" one. Made to go in our front room that houses our black piano.
Isn't it amazing that she whips these puppies out?
So don't go telling Martha about us, or she'll want to put us on the show, elevate us to extreme celebrity status, and market us as a household name.
We just don't have time for that.



4 comments:
Very nice post! I see you have the bug after your month off. Keep them coming Sister!
I feel very inadequate as a grandmother now:( Every good Grandma should be able to crochet or knit, right? I made a quilt once, does that count? These are beautiful! Kudos to your gma!
thanks for the encouraging words over at my blog. I really don't feel it's a matter of being too hard on myself, but just an earnest desire for more intimacy with Him. Perhaps it's because I know the taste of it, so I miss it in these dry times. But you are right, He brings us back when we seek Him, and even when we don't, I think that Shepherds staff comes in handy;).
Very cool! Makes me miss my grandma! She crocheted an afgan for my first baby 12 years before he was born because she didn't know if she'd be around to see him - and she was right, she passed away 7 years before Luke was born. I love your shadow boxes - very neat idea - I'm sure Martha would love to steal it and put it on her show :)
Post a Comment